The Cycler Rifle is a long-range weapon available in DICE's Star Wars Battlefront as a Star Card known for its ability to penetrate shields and in Star Wars Battlefront II as a sniper rifle available for the Specialist.
Star Wars Battlefront Edit
- "Designed to fire solid projectiles, this crude but reliable rifle is excellent at hitting targets at extreme ranges and penetrating energy shields."
- — In-game description.
The Cycler Rifle is unlocked at rank 28.
The Cycler Rifle is a single-shot Sniper Rifle that fires solid projectiles instead of blaster shots with a reload (recharge) time of 15 seconds (10 seconds when upgraded). These solid rounds have a muzzle velocity of 300m/s, making it necessary for the user to lead their shots by aiming ahead of their intended target. The bullets are also affected by gravity, causing them travel in a rather steep ballistic trajectory, forcing the shooter to aim upwards when firing at long-range targets. If the shot strikes a target within 10 meters of the shooter, it will deal a total of 100 damage, resulting in a one-shot-kill under normal circumstances. Past 10 meters, however, the Cycler Rifle's damage drops off to 90 damage, making it unable to score a one-shot-kill unless the shooter can land headshot, in which case the Cycler Rifle will inflict double damage.
When comparing the Cycler Rifle to its main competitor, the Pulse Cannon, the Cycler Rifle has a number of downsides:
- The Pulse Cannon is capable of scoring a one-shot-kill once fully charged (or with a headshot) regardless of range, whereas the Cycler Rifle is unable to score a one-shot-kill past 10 meters unless the user is able to score a headshot.
- The Pulse Cannon also has a far higher shot velocity and its shot travels in a straight line towards its target while the Cycler Rifle's solid projectiles travel in a ballistic trajectory and are slow compared to blaster shots.
Despite these downsides, the Cycler Rifle has four known advantages over the Pulse Cannon:
- The Pulse Cannon requires a short charge-up before it can be fired while the Cycler Rifle can be fired immediately after equipping it.
- The Pulse Cannon cannot be fired unless aiming down the scope while the Cycler Rifle can be shoulder-fired freely and with relatively good accuracy to boot.
- When moving, the Pulse Cannon suffers a drastic decrease in accuracy while the Cycler Rifle suffers from a far smaller accuracy penalty.
- The final advantage is that the Cycler Rifle can shoot through Personal- and Squad Shields (both the Normal one and Leia's version), the only other weapons capable of doing this are the Scatter Gun and the Stinger Pistol.
|Weapons of Star Wars Battlefront|
Bacta Bomb ⋅ Barrage ⋅ Bowcaster ⋅ Cycler Rifle ⋅ Dioxis Grenade1 ⋅ Flash Grenade ⋅ Homing Shot ⋅ Impact Grenade ⋅ Ion Grenade ⋅ Ion Neutralizer ⋅ Ion Torpedo ⋅ Laser Trip Mine3 ⋅ Scatter Gun1 ⋅ Scout Pistol ⋅ Shock Grenade2 ⋅ Smoke Grenade ⋅ Sonic Imploder4 ⋅ Stinger Pistol2 ⋅ Pulse Cannon ⋅ Thermal Detonator
Note: Superscripts denote content locked to expansion packs.
|Star Cards of Star Wars Battlefront|
Scout Pistol · Pulse Cannon · Homing Shot · Barrage · Cycler Rifle · Bowcaster · Ion Torpedo · Jump Pack · Scatter Gun* · Ion Neutralizer · Thermal Detonator · Impact Grenade · Ion Grenade · Smoke Grenade · Flash Grenade · Dioxis Grenade* · Shock Grenade* · Bacta Bomb · Scout Binoculars* · Laser Trip Mine* · Medical Droid*
Star Wars Battlefront II Edit
- "While appearing crude when compared to more sophisticated blasters, the Cycler Rifle was a versatile and durable weapon popular among Tusken Raiders native to Tatooine."
- — In-game Description
The second game's Cycler Rifle loses its distinctive ability to penetrate shields and can only be fired three times before overheating. It also suffers from high recoil, which can be rectified with Reduced Recoil mod. However, it can three-shot most enemies, the exception being Heavies and heroes. The Cycler rifle also fires fairly fast compared to other Specialist primary weapons.
|Rate of Fire||180 RPM|
|Damage per Second||225 DPS|
|Range||Infinite (no damage drop-off)|
|Projectile Speed||700 meters/sec|
|Overheat||3 shots (0.34 heat per shot)|
|Overheat Penalty||1 seconds|
|Passive Cooldown Delay|| 5 seconds|
|Passive Cooldown||0.9 heat per second|
|In-game Description||Macroscope that can toggle between two magnification levels while zooming.|
|Prerequisite||25 kills with the Cycler Rifle|
|In-game Description||Reinforced barrel extension that absorbs much of the recoil with each blast.|
|Prerequisite||75 kills with the Cycler Rifle|
Dual Zoom Edit
Reduced Recoil Edit
Improved Cooling Edit
|DICE's Star Wars Battlefront IITrooper Weapons in|