- "Darth Maul uses his expert lightsaber skills and aggressive Force powers to quickly assault and overrun the enemy, one at a time."
- — In-game Description
Darth Maul is a Dark Side hero for the Separatists in DICE's Star Wars Battlefront II. Darth Maul has three abilities: Spin Attack, Choke Hold, and Furious Throw. His personal starship, the Scimitar, can be played in Starfighter Assault or Hero Starfighters.
- "Darth Maul's intimidating appearance and brutal elegance in battle strike fear into the hearts of even the bravest foes. Deadly and agile, Maul quickly closes the gap, striking with unrelenting speed."
- — Battlefront II website
Darth Maul is a brutal and aggressive villain. Because of his abilities and fast attacks, Maul is best used as to aggressive pusher, attacking quickly and staying on the move. His Spin Attack can be used cover a moderate distance, and is capable of damaging any enemies in its path or be used for a quick escape from danger. His Choke Hold can be used to damage and throw groups of enemies, leaving them vulnerable to attack or hurl them to their doom. His Saber Throw allows him to cut down enemies that are further away and can be thrown on the move.
|Darth Maul Health Statistics|
|Health Regen Rate||50 health/sec|
|Max Health Regen||250|
|Regen Delay||5 sec|
|Darth Maul Movement Statistics|
|Sprint Speed||8 meters/second|
|Maximum Jump Height||10 meters|
|Number of Dodges||2|
|Dodge Length||5.5 meters|
|In-game Description||Darth Maul hurls his lightsaber, damaging all enemies it touches.|
|Ability Cooldown||8 seconds|
|In-game Description||Darth Maul uses the Force to choke his enemies before throwing them to the ground.|
|Ability Cooldown||18 seconds|
Maul goes into a high velocity lightsaber spin attack, cutting down enemies in his path as he leaps forward. This ability can be used in rapid succession at least two times before going into cooldown. Not only can Darth Maul use his Spin Attack to launch himself at an enemy, but it can also be used to make a hasty retreat if under fire. Be careful, however, of leaping into a group of enemy units and finding yourself without a Spin Attack to escape.
Though the Spin Attack deals a quite a bit of damage, it does not often kill enemy units unless they are hit straight on. Additional attacks may be required to wipe out any remaining trooper. That said, the Spin Attack can be very effective against a large cluster of enemies, as it can deal damage to all of them simultaneously, leaving them vulnerable to a few quick strikes from Darth Maul's lightsaber. The Spin Attack will also deflect incoming laser bolts while Maul is in the spinning motion. It can also be used to finish off any enemies that manage to survive a Choke Hold.
If you find yourself the target of Maul's Spin Attack, there is not much hope save for a quick escape. Shields are essentially useless against lightsabers, and Maul can move faster than most units can run. The best option if you are caught in a group of friendly units is to flee as far as you can while Darth Maul is busy slaying your allies.
If you see Maul in the distance, get to cover, but keep a line of sight on him. Try picking at his health from a distance while keeping out of sight. If he is coming towards you, try to find cover around corners or large objects so that you won't be in the line of his Spin Attack. Try to find a place to hide until he moves on, if possible.
Maul chokes a few enemies at close range before sending them flying to the ground. This ability is limited to his immediate line of sight, so position yourself wisely before using this power. It's range is also somewhat limited, so be careful when you find yourself surrounded by a number of enemies. Maul will also be defenseless when using this power, so be aware of your surroundings before activating his Choke Hold. However, if enemies lie within the range of this ability, its affect can be devastating. Though it is usually lethal, and surviving units can be mowed down quickly with a Spin Attack or a Furious Throw. There is no limit to the number of enemies Darth Maul can choke, so it is possible to rack up a large number of Battle Points by using this ability in the right position.
If you find yourself caught in the terrifying grasp of Maul's Choke Hold, there is almost no hope for you. You will only be able to watch as the Sith apprentice crushes the life from you. It is best if you avoid the ability altogether by staying out of Maul's immediate range, which should be advised regardless due to Maul's vicious lightsaber attacks. As stated above, Maul is defenseless when using his Choke Hold, so use this brief period of time to deal as much damage as possible to the him. Once the ability finishes, he won't be able to use again for a time, so use the cooldown period to follow up on damage while keeping your distance from his basic attacks as well as his other two abilities.
Maul hurls his lightsaber straight ahead of him, damaging all enemies it touches before it returns to his hand. Unlike Darth Vader's ability in both Star Wars Battlefront and its sequel, Darth Maul's throw is vertical rather than horizontal, significantly reducing its range. However, the ability is no less lethal if it strikes its mark. Maul's Furious Throw gives him a ranged attack that he can use to take out troublesome enemies form afar. Due to the precision it requires to be effective though, this ability should be reserved for times when Darth Maul is only facing one or a few enemy units . If he misses, he will have to wait for the ability to recharge before he can use it again. he is also defenseless when his lightsaber is in the air, so you should always be mindful of his surroundings before using his Furious Throw.
This ability is the easiest to avoid since its area of affect is so small. Unlike Darth Maul's other two abilities, this can only be used on one enemy at a time, unless they are all tightly clustered together. If you see Maul hurl his saber, immediately strafe or roll left or right out of its path, or find cover immediately. If you are not the target of the throw, but witness Maul using it, try damaging him as much as possible in the very short span of time that his lightsaber is absent from his hand.
|Lightsaber Defense||Thrown To Slow||Ranged Throw||Fool Me Once||Forceful Thrust|
|Flow Motion||Wrathful||Accelerated Throw||Unrolled Grip|
- "Darth Maul’s Furious Throw deals damage to enemies on its return."
- — First hint
- "Darth Maul’s Choke Hold can be used to throw enemies from ledges."
- — Second hint
- "Maul is most effective when on the move, hitting his enemies and keeping mobile"
- — Third hint
- "At last I will have my revenge."
- — First Emote
- "I sense your fear."
- — Second Emote
- "The Sith are all-powerful!"
- — Third Emote
- "You are no match for me."
- — Fourth Emote
- — In-Game
- — Upon using Spin Attack
- — Upon using Spin Attack
- "You are helpless."
- — Upon using Choke Hold
- "Such weak flesh!"
- — Upon using Choke Hold
- "Choke in my grasp!"
- — Upon using Choke Hold
- — Upon using Furious Throw
- "Such a waste."
- — Upon using Furious Throw
- Sam Witwer, voice of Emperor Palpatine in Star Wars Battlefront and the voice of Maul in Star Wars Rebels, returns to voice Darth Maul in Battlefront II.
- A feature in Star Wars Battlefront II makes lightsaber attacks visible like they are in the movies as glowing streaks on solid surfaces such as floors or walls. This is most visible when Darth Maul uses his Furious Throw on an enemy directly in front of him, leaving a bright orange line along the floor as his saber spins towards its unfortunate victim. This is a completely aesthetic feature and does not damage the map.
- His lightsaber swing speed is the fastest in the game, almost swinging twice in every second (1.9 swings/second).
- Although technically affiliated with the Separatists faction in-game, Darth Maul was never a Separatist in the canon lore, but in fact was an enemy of both the Separatists and the Galactic Republic.
- In his only Skywalker saga movie appearance, The Phantom Menace, Darth Maul was working with the Trade Federation. When the Trade Federation later secretly joined the Separatists, Darth Maul no longer worked with them due to his defeat by Obi-Wan Kenobi at the end of the film and his presumed death.
- Fixed an issue that prevented Darth Maul from blocking, when under Obi-Wan’s Restrictive Mind Trick ability.
- Added the ability to block for Darth Maul.
- Heroes with longer-lasting abilities will now not be interrupted by opponents using Force powers. This applies to Darth Maul's Choke Hold.
- Fixed an issue where Darth Vader's and Darth Maul's Lightsabers would get stuck spinning when thrown against an enemy turret.
- Fixed an issue that would prevent multiple Lightsaber Hero abilities from inflicting damage to the Officer's turret. This applies to Darth Maul's Spin Attack.
- Fixed an issue that would show the wrong area of effect when performing Darth Maul's Choke Hold ability.
- Fixed an issue where Darth Maul's Choke Hold ability would occasionally be inaccurately activated from a distance when being used at the same time as another Hero's ability.
- Added stamina costs to Darth Maul's attacks.
- Increased Darth Maul's Lightsaber damage from 100 to 120 points. Attack from behind bonus damage was increased from 20 to 30 points.
- Fixed an issue where Kylo Ren's Pull and Darth Maul's Choke Hold abilities would occasionally activate twice when an enemy is in the same place, as the last time the abilities were used.
- Fixed an issue where Darth Maul would be unable to cast any ability except Choke Hold, when being pushed while using the Spin Attack ability.
- Fixed several issues with abilities not always registering due to map geometry factors thereby improving the reliability of Maul's CHOKE HOLD.
- Fixed an issue where Darth Maul's "Choke" ability would occasionally throw opponents in the opposite direction.
- Replaced the star card FRANTIC STRIKES with the star card WRATHFUL, which grants Maul Health when he defeats an enemy.
- Fixed several issues with the Saber Throw ability:
- If used in Arcade with no cooldown, the ability doesn't work until the regular cooldown is over.
- Implemented new collision detection mechanics, so that Saber Throw will more reliably hit targets.
- Fixed an issue where Maul’s saber would deactivate when colliding with level geometry, causing it to not hit targets at the end of the throw or on the return.
- The SABER THROW ability should now be more reliable than ever and will connect properly with its target.
- The FOOL ME ONCE Star Card now applies the proper bonuses.
- Furious Throw can now damage objectives and vehicles.