- "Your destiny lies with me."
- — Darth Vader in Battlefront II
Star Wars BattlefrontEdit
- "You will know the power of the Dark Side."
- — Intro Dialogue
Darth Vader is a menacing presence to behold on the battlefield, the sound of his breathing apparatus combined with his lightsaber cutting down foes is enough to strike fear into any insurgent. Vader is a powerful, close quarters villain but can have trouble closing distances purely based on agility. His Flight plays an important role in closing the gaps between enemies. In close range, Vader's abilities are very destructive to his foes. However, he is much slower than other heroes.
Vader is considered to be a tank and is very resilient to damage. With his Lord of the Sith trait, which boosts up his defense, he has the capability to wipe out an entire rebel base without losing much health. Vader can take down strong heroes like Chewbacca while taking damage from other enemies. His Trait actually increases when hitting heroes and getting damaged. Vader has the capability to defeat Chewbacca with at least 40 health left.
- Force Choke: Darth Vader uses the Force to choke enemies and suspend them in the air. This only targets one enemy at a time.
- Heavy Attack: A powerful sweeping attack, intended to strike down multiple close-ranged enemies at the same time, using this attack with Luke Skywalker will initiate a saber clash.
- Saber Throw: Darth Vader uses the Force to sling his Lightsaber across long distances, using it to cut down enemies. Saber Throw tends to throw from the hip, not the arm, so aim upwards or float a little.
Darth Vader's hero trait is called Lord of the Sith. Darth Vader's armor increases based on the number of enemies surrounding him. Heroes count as two enemies towards his trait progression. Armor is a bonus amount of health added to a player's health bar that not only grants the player an increased amount of health but a greater amount of damage resistance as well. Darth Vader's trait, like the other heroes in Star Wars Battlefront, has three levels, each more powerful than the previous. The bonuses given to Darth Vader for each level of his hero trait are defined below:
- Level 1: 20% for 1-2 enemies.
- Level 2: 50% for 3-4 enemies.
- Level 3: 80% for 5 or more enemies.
- "Impressive. Most impressive"
- — Emote
- "Your defeat is inevitable."
- — emote
- "Feel the power of the dark side."
- — emote
- "You will know the power of the dark side."
- — Intro Dialogue
- "Witness the power of the Force."
- — upon attack
- "You are nothing against the power of the Force!"
- — Upon Force Choking an opponent
- "Come to me."
- — using Heavy Strike
- "You will die by my hand!"
- — using Heavy Strike
- "You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor!"
- — Upon attacking Princess Leia
- "I sense young Skywalker's presence"
- — When Luke Skywalker enters the battlefield
- Darth Vader is voiced by Matt Sloan.
- Darth Vader's theme is the iconic Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back OST.
- Vader's trait was originally bugged since it gave armor protection for enemy soldiers as well. This was corrected later on in a patch where it simply affected him.
- Vader is one of the only three characters who doesn't play like a soldier. The others being his master and his son.
- Darth Vader only has one version of his armor in the game, and that is his armor from The Empire Strikes Back. In the films, he has at least two sets of armor. When on the Death Star and on Scarif during the game, he is wearing the wrong suit of armor as in the films, the helmet has red eyes and the suit of armor looks different.
Star Wars Battlefront IIEdit
- "Darth Vader's high survivability and powerful Force powers enable him to stand on the frontlines and slowly advance on his enemies."
- — In-game description
Darth Vader returns in DICE's Star Wars Battlefront II, once again as a Galactic Empire Hero.
Darth Vader is a tank. His lightsaber deals a considerable amount of damage, and he can sustain himself and his melee attacks and defenses even longer using his Focused Rage, giving himself bonus health, in addition to the massive health pool he already possesses, and slowing his stamina drain for a period of time. Howver, he plays similarly to other slow characters in the game, and his killer running speed and sprint attack have been removed.
While Vader is slow moving, unlike in the original battlefront 2, he is not limited to his short range, and can launch his lightsaber forward at enemies using his Saber Throw. Vader hurls his lightsaber at enemies. This ability is able to damage enemies twice, once when passing through them and a second time on the way back. Certain star cards buff the damage of the throw when passing through the same enemy twice, allowing for terrifying combos.
Vader's second ability is Focused Rage. Activating this ability causes Vader to pull on the force to enhance his own rage. This allows him to deal more damage against his target and allowing him to take more damage in return. This proves especially helpful in one on one situations against an enemy hero. It allows him to deal with other heroes' large health pools.
Finally, Vader can use his iconic Force choke power to choke entire groups of enemies at once, lifting multiple enemies into the air and dealing damage over time. If an enemy is able to survive the initial suffocation, Vader can finish them off with his Saber Throw or basic melee attack.
|Level||Reward Upon Reaching Level||XP to Complete Level||Total Skill Points|
|2|| 1 Skill Point|
Furious Resilience becomes available
Bonus Health becomes available
|3||1 Skill Point||10,200||2|
|4||1 Skill Point||10,540||3|
|5|| 1 Skill Point|
There Is No Escape becomes available
Punishing Grip becomes available
|6||1 Skill Point||11,400||5|
|7||1 Skill Point||11,836||6|
|8||1 Skill Point||12,280||7|
|9||1 Skill Point||12,736||8|
|10|| 1 Skill Point|
Surrounded By Fear becomes available
|11||1 Skill Point||17,203||10|
|12|| 1 Skill Point|
Can now upgrade Star Cards to Rare
|13||1 Skill Point||18,123||12|
|14||1 Skill Point||18,590||13|
|15|| 1 Skill Point|
Deflection Stamina becomes available
Intensified Lightsaber Throw becomes available
|16||1 Skill Point||19,540||15|
|17||1 Skill Point||20,023||16|
|18||1 Skill Point||20,510||17|
|19||1 Skill Point||21,003||18|
|20|| 1 Skill Point|
Last Gasp becomes available
Fueling The Rage becomes available
|21||1 Skill Point||22,003||20|
|22||1 Skill Point||22,510||21|
|23||1 Skill Point||23,023||22|
|24||1 Skill Point||23,540||23|
|25|| 1 Skill Point|
Can now upgrade Star Cards to Epic
|26-37||1 Skill Point per level||24,417||36|
|38-40||1,000 Credits per level||24,417||36|
Health and MovementEdit
|Health Statistics for Darth Vader|
|Base Health|| 800|
|Health Regen Rate|| 50 health/sec|
|Max Health Regen||250|
|Regen Delay||5 sec|
|Movement Statistics for Darth Vader|
|Sprint Speed||7 meters/second|
|Maximum Jump Height||10 meters|
|Number of Dodges||2|
|Dodge Length||5.5 meters|
|Dodge Cooldown||1.1 seconds per dodge|
|All dodges grant 20% damage reduction throughout the animation|
|In-game Description||The red blade of Darth Vader's lightsaber reflects his fall to the dark side and his becoming a Dark Lord of the Sith.|
|Melee Attacks|| 10 swings possible|
|Blaster Deflections|| 2121 damage deflections possible|
|Deflection Spread (angle multiplier)||0.2|
|Melee Deflections|| 14 melee deflections possible|
|Stamina Regen Delay||2.25 seconds|
|Stamina Regen Speed (from empty)||3 seconds|
|Name||Health on Elimination|
|In-game Description||Darth Vader regains health for each defeated enemy.|
|Effect||Grants 20 health per defeated trooper, 100 health per defeated Hero.|
|In-game Description||Darth Vader throws his lightsaber, cutting through and dealing damage to any enemies in the way.|
|Damage|| 130 (Initial throw)|
|Area of Effect|| 20 meters
|Ability Cooldown||8 seconds|
|In-game Description||Darth Vader channels the dark side of the Force and focuses his rage. The stamina cost of his melee strikes is halved and they deal bonus damage while he receives temporary bonus health.|
|Ability Duration|| 10 seconds
|Ability Cooldown||15 seconds|
|In-game Description||Darth Vader chokes a cluster of enemies ahead of him, dragging them off the ground and through the air to drop them into danger.|
|Damage|| Damage per second: 86|
Total damage: 130
|Effect||Grants 20% damage reduction to Darth Vader|
|Ability Duration|| 1.5 seconds
|Ability Cooldown||25 seconds|
Boost Cards Edit
|Furious Resilience||Bonus Health||There Is No Escape||Punishing Grip||Surrounded By Fear|
|Deflection Stamina||Intensified Lightsaber Throw||Last Gasp||Fueling The Rage|
|Give Yourself to the Dark Side||Dark Lord of the Sith||Anger||Lack of Faith|
- "All heroes can dodge or evade. Use this to avoid damage and open distance between you and your enemy."
- — First hint
- "Dodge is most effective at avoiding lightsaber attacks and opening space between you and the attacker."
- — Second hint
- "Heroes can only block attacks from the front. Try to position around them and hit them from behind to be effective."
- — Third hint
- "Each time a blocking hero deflects damage or swings their lightsaber, they lose stamina. When out of stamina, heroes are unable to deflect or trigger a closing strike."
- — Fourth hint
- "Heroes have strengths and weaknesses. Hone your skills by playing Arcade."
- — Fifth hint
- "Use Star Cards to ensure your hero experience is personally tailored."
- — Sixth hint
- "Heroes will only regenerate a limited amount of health after taking damage."
- — Seventh hint
- "Darth Vader’s Focused Rage increases the damage you deal as well as removing the Stamina cost of his lightsaber strikes."
- — First hint
- "You can drag and drop enemies off ledges using Darth Vader’s Choke ability."
- — Second hint
- "Darth Vader’s high survivability allows him to hold his ground against many attackers."
- — Third hint
Emotes and QuotesEdit
- "You cannot hide forever."
- — First emote
- "You are as clumsy as you are stupid."
- — Second emote
- "I find your lack of faith disturbing."
- — Third emote
- "Apology accepted."
- — Fourth emote
- "This will be a day long remembered."
- — Upon spawning
- "We would be honored if you would join us."
- — Upon spawning
- "I'm not so easily injured!"
- — Upon using Focused Rage
- "Your life ends."
- — Upon using Force Choke
- "Your hope has blinded you."
- — Upon using Force Choke
- "No escape!"
- — Upon using Lightsaber Throw
- "These are the fruits of treason."
- — In combat
- "The price of insurgence."
- — In combat
- "Vader: You could not stop my master and you cannot stop me.
Yoda: Bold claims from an apprentice."
- — Banter between Yoda and Darth Vader
- "Palpatine: Do not fail me, Lord Vader.
Vader: The battle will be ours, my master."
- — Banter between Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader
- "Luke: Anakin is still a part of you.
Vader: Anakin Skywalker no longer exists."
- — Banter between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader
- "Vader: You can be replaced, bounty hunter.
Boba Fett: Not without cost."
- — Banter between Boba Fett and Darth Vader
- "Vader: Demonstrate your worth, bounty hunter.
Bossk: I have nothing to prove to you!"
- — Banter between Bossk and Darth Vader
- "The girl, she carries a familiar lightsaber..."
- — Banter with Rey
- "Princess Leia is here. She is mine."
- — Banter with Leia Organa
- "Boba Fett, do not disappoint me."
- — Banter with Boba Fett
- "Solo's Wookiee is here."
- — Banter with Chewbacca
- "Capture or kill Captain Solo."
- — Banter with Han Solo
- "Calrissian must be punished."
- — Banter with Lando Calrissian
- "All hail the Dark Lord of killstreaks."
- — Heroes vs. Villains announcer when Darth Vader player gets a 5-player killstreak
- He is voiced by Matt Sloan just like in the game's predecessor, Star Wars Battlefront.
- Vader has the same walking and jumping animation as Anakin Skywalker, his light side persona.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue in Arcade where Force Choke would instantly kill an enemy who stayed near a wall.
- Buff: Force Choke is no longer canceled by Yoda's Presence ability.
- Buff: Focused Rage grants 200 temporary bonus health.
- Nerf: Reduced Vader's max health from 900 to 800.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where the camera would enter a bad state when being the target of Force Choke.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where Vader would not take any damage from Luke Skywalker's Push if standing near a wall.
- Known issue: The Punishing Grip Star Card effect is not applied when Force Choke is used.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where the Punishing Grip Star Card effect wasn't applied when Force Choke is used.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where Saber Throw could go through a wall on Takodana.
- Bug fix: The Dark Lord Star Card now applies the proper bonus.
- Bug fix: The Bonus Health Star Card now applies the proper bonus.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where Vader would stay in the Force Choke animation when that ability was used in the air.
- Bug fix: The Furious Resilience Star Card is now giving the proper, listed damage reduction. Previously the damage reduction was higher than stated.
- Bug fix: Darth Vader's "All Too Easy" milestone should now progress properly.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue on PS4 where Light Side heroes could lose the functionality of their basic attack if they were caught in a Vader and Palpatine ability chain.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where Darth Vader's Intensified Lightsaber Throw Star Card displayed wrong information about the bonus damage granted.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where players could occasionally remain stuck in the Force Choke animation.
- Quality of life: Removed Hero Showdown-based challenges "Perfect Together" and "Vader and Kylo," based on player feedback that they are too hard to achieve in an online environment.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where Darth Vader would occasionally remain stuck in the Choke animation.
- Bug fix: Fixed several issues with Darth Vader's abilities not always registering due to map geometry factors.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where Darth Vader was able to jump twice if Focused Rage was used mid-air.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where Darth Vader was unable to move players around while they were being affected by Force Choke.
- Known issue: Obi-Wan and Rey are not always able to block attacks from Darth Vader.
- Quality of life: Made improvements towards issues with camera shaking when a player was being choked by Darth Vader. The camera of the target player being forced to look at Darth Vader when being choked was removed.
- Mechanics change: Improved hero lightsaber combat in a variety of ways:
- Removed staggering when a player attacks an enemy hero who is blocking.
- A hero can no longer attack when they have no stamina.
- Removed the stamina costs associated with pressing and holding block.
- After being hit by a lightsaber, players will not be able to be staggered by a lightsaber attack for 0.8 seconds.
- Buff: Focused Range now gives 50% reduced stamina costs when active.
- Buff: Increased Darth Vader's lightsaber damage from 120 to 130. Attack from behind bonus damage was increased from 20 to 30.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where Deflection Stamina would have not work at Epic rarity.
- Known issue: The ability description for Focused Rage has not been updated with the latest stamina changes.
- Buff: Increased Darth Vader's attack stamina by 2 lightsaber strikes, to a total of 10 strikes.
- Quality of life: Darth Vader can now jump as high as other Force heroes.
- Quality of life: Force Choke will now not be interrupted by opponents using Force abilities.
- Bug fix: The ability description for Focused Rage has been updated with the stamina changes made in the Capital Supremacy Update.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where Darth Vader's lightsaber would get stuck spinning when thrown against an enemy turret.
- Buff: Increased Vader's lightsaber damage from 120 to 130.
- Buff: Decreased Darth Vader's stamina regeneration delay from 3 seconds to 2.25 seconds.
- Nerf: Damage inflicted by Darth Vader during Force Choke is now reduced to 10% of its value.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where the Fueling the Rage Star Card would put Focused Rage on cooldown when the user eliminated enemies faster than the ability timer could indicate.
- Bug fix: Fixed a visual issue where impact VFX would incorrectly trigger when playing as Vader and attacking while holding the Block button.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where Vader's lightsaber would stop being visible when switching the lightsaber off before throwing it against an opponent.
- Mechanics change: Vader's health-on-kill Star Card named Dark Lord has been replaced with Surrounded By Fear.
- Mechanics change: Darth Vader now gains health from every kill automatically, no Star Card required.
- Quality of life: The word Resistant will now appear above Vader when he uses Force Choke to properly convey to other players that he cannot be affected by Force abilities during Force Choke.
- Quality of life: Clarified the effect of the Punishing Grip Star Card by changing the effect description from "TIGHTER GRIP" to "INCREASED ACTIVE TIME".
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue that would prevent players from dodging out Force Choke's area of effect.
- Nerf: Removed the damage reduction during Force Choke.
- General: Changed the description of Fueling The Rage to "FOCUSED RAGE has an active duration extended by 6 seconds but its bonus damage is reduced."
- Mechanics change: Hero abilities will not get canceled when heroes are hit with melee attacks. Additionally, a melee attack right after a lightsaber attack should not stagger the hero.
- Quality of life: Focused Rage has been changed so it allows players to move 0.4 seconds earlier after the animation has completed.
- Mechanics change: Force Choke can only be used if an enemy is in its area of effect.
- Buff: A 25% damage reduction during Choke has been added.
- Quality of life: Players can now see the number of enemies targeted by the ability.
- Mechanics change: Force Choke can be used even if there's no enemies in its area of effect.
- Mechanics change: Buff: Vader is now able to attack and block while using Force Choke.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue that would prevent Darth Vader from throwing his lightsaber during a voice line action.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where Darth Vader would remain stuck in the Force Choke animation if he used Choke and then dashed immediately after.
- General: The intro animations for Darth Vader in the spawn and Collection menu screens have been improved.
- Redundant change: Mechanics change: Force Choke can be used even if there's no enemies in its area of effect.
- Nerf: Lowered the damage reduction on Darth Vader while using Choke from 75% to 20%.
- Note: Vader never had 75% damage reduction, rather 25%. It is possible that the hero designer mistook the "0.25" damage reduction value in the game files as the amount of damage Vader took as a whole.
- Unlisted: Buff: Due to a mistake in coding, the damage reduction value of Darth Vader while in Choke was actually increased to 80% from 25%; a server-side update on the 18th changed it back to its intended value of 20%.
- Nerf: Reduced Darth Vader's Lightsaber Throw damage from 150 to 130.
- Nerf: Reduced the effectiveness of the Force Choke and Lightsaber Throw attack combo. Enemies who are being affected by Force Choke will now only receive half the damage from Lightsaber Throw.
- Nerf: Reduced the values of the Intensified Lightsaber Throw Star Card to 15-20-25-30.
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue that allowed Darth Vader to receive significant damage reduction, making him nearly invincible.
- ↑ ANIMATING ANAKIN SKYWALKER IN STAR WARS™ BATTLEFRONT™ II on the Star Wars Battlefront II website ((backup link))
|DICE's Star Wars Battlefront IIHeroes in|
|The Galactic Empire|