- "Battle on a series of large team-oriented, objective-based maps. Visit iconic locations, pilot favorite vehicles, choose from among four trooper classes, call in special units, and become a hero."
- — In-game Description
Galactic Assault is an asymmetrical, 40 player linear game mode in DICE's Star Wars Battlefront II that features heroes, Reinforcements, and vehicles that can be spawned in to turn the tide of battle. This mode spans all three Star Wars eras and has scenarios unique to each map. Currently, Galactic Assault can be played on 13 maps.
Galactic Assault is a large-scale, ground-based, linear game mode in DICE's Star Wars Battlefront II, that pits two teams of 20 against each other in objective-based battles. The mode spans all three Star Wars eras, with one faction acting as the attackers and the other the defenders. Every Galactic Assault map is split into multiple phases and features objectives tailored to fit the map's design. During a match, players can spawn as a hero, Reinforcement, or vehicle using Battle Points earned through gameplay. Some vehicles are, however, only available during specific phases.
While objectives are unique to each map and phase depending on the scenario, the different types of objectives overlap and repeat in Galactic Assault, either in the same way or with some variation. These objectives include:
- Escorting Vehicles: The attackers must escort one or two massive vehicles as they move forward to reach a point on the map. The attacking team has to defend their vehicle(s) from the defending team, who can pick up ion disruptors or rocket launchers scattered across the map and use these to stop a vehicle in motion and make it vulnerable to normal blaster damage.
- Overriding: One member of the attacking team has to approach an objective and hold down the interact button over a period of time in order to override or corrupt the system. The other attackers must defend this team member, and if they are eliminated by the defending team, another attacker will have to take their place.
- Planting and Detonating Bombs: One member of the attacking team must plant a bomb on an objective, which the attacking team has to defend once planted for a period of time as it prepares to detonate, while defenders must try to defuse the bomb before it explodes.
- Destroying Objectives: The attacking team must use their blasters and other disposal weapons to shoot at objectives, tearing away at their health until they lose all their health and are consequentially destroyed.
- Capturing: The attacking team has to stand within an objective area for a period of time in order to capture and secure it while the defenders must try to eliminate all attackers within the objective area to prevent its capture by the enemy team. If one defender is present in an objective area while attackers are capturing it, it is contested, during which time no progress for the attackers is made. Once an objective zone is captured by the attackers, the defenders cannot recapture it.
Attackers must complete all of their objectives before the defenders drain all of their tickets, which are based on eliminations of attackers by defenders. If a capture zone is being contested, a bomb has yet to detonate, or a team member is still overriding an objective, then matches will enter overtime until the objective is complete.
- Geonosis: Trippa Hive
- Kamino: Cloning Facility
- Naboo: Theed
- Kashyyyk: Kachirho Beach
- Yavin 4: The Great Temple
- Hoth: Outpost Delta
- Tatooine: Mos Eisley
- Death Star II: Command Sector North
- Endor: Research Station 9
- Jakku: Starship Graveyard
- Takodana: Maz's Castle
- Starkiller Base: Precinct 47
- Crait: Abandoned Rebel Outpost
- During the Battlefront II Beta, Galactic Assault was one of the three playable multiplayer modes. It could be played on Naboo: Theed.
- Galactic Assault was the only large scale ground-based mode available in DICE's Star Wars Battlefront II for over a year until the arrival of Capital Supremacy, released in the Capital Supremacy Update.
- Fixed an issue where the "To The Last Man" timed challenge would track user respawns as eliminations.
- Fixed an issue where picking up and firing with a Rocket Launcher would also trigger a melee attack.
- Fixed an issue where the Phase 3 objective could still be captured if the AT-TE was standing slightly outside the Capture Zone on Geonosis.
- Fixed an issue that would occasionally cause players to be automatically kicked out of Galactic Assault matchmaking if they were waiting in the pre-round for more than 5 minutes.
- Added Hailfire Droids firing missiles as a Battle Beyond element on Geonosis.
- Fixed an issue where the HUD icons would not disappear for the defending team, if the first two points were captured at relatively the same time on Jakku.
- Fixed a visual issue where the Capture icon in the last phase of Geonosis would showcase a human icon instead of an AT-TE icon.
- Tentatively fixed an issue that would occasionally cause the AT-M6 to sink under the ground on Crait.
- Fixed issues where players could get stuck on certain rock formations.
- Fixed an issue where the Objective UI was misleadingly decreasing under certain circumstances in Phase 3 on Geonosis.
- Fixed an issue where scoring events would not register while capturing the objective in Phase 3.
- Overall VFX polish pass on Geonosis (Visual updates on toxic waterfall, Spider Droid explosions, size of backdrop AT-TE footprint effects, background lasers caused by Spider Droids).
- Fixed an issue where the MTT would consistently display as "Out of Range" on HUD.
- Added new map, Geonosis: Trippa Hive, to Galactic Assault.
- In order to improve the flow on Galactic Assault - Naboo, the Attackers on Phase 2 need to override only one door to proceed.
- Implemented a limit in the difference of team sizes before a mode can start. This way, a mode cannot start with an unbalanced size in teams. For Galactic Assault the maximum difference is 4.
- Added ability to get into squads and spawn on squad members on Galactic Assault and Strike.
- Implemented backend timers that allow tweaking of the objective duration on Galactic Assault in a live environment.
- Implemented Clone Wars tile in the Home screen to increase the possibility for matchmaking on Galactic Assault for Clone Wars – era maps.
- Crait map is back in GA rotation after fixing issue with MVP screen.
- Fixed an issue where players were able to enter in one of the troop transports blocking the attackers to complete the objective on Jakku.
- Fixed an issue on PC where after shooting the MTT with the ION Disruptor, a "Playing the Objective" scoring event was shown after each respawn.
- Improved player rewards for completing objectives on the map.
- Fixed an issue where the player was able to use the LUIV beyond Phase 1 on Starkiller Base.
- Fixed an issue where the Ion Grenade exploded in mid-air before reaching the AT-AT or MTT.
- Fixed an issue where the tabs in the End of Round screen were not working properly.
- Re-worked the defender spawns in Phase 2, moving them closer to the objectives.
- The price of the AT-ST on Takodana has been increased from 1500 to 2500.
- Re-worked the defender spawns in Phase 3, moving them closer to the objectives.
- The LAAT respawn time has been increased to 30 seconds.
- Fixed an issue where the MTT health would not display correctly and it would sometimes enter an incorrect state.
- Death Star II
- Made Phases 2 and 3 easier to defend and Phase 1 slightly easier for the attackers by adjusting spawn positions.
- Phase 2 spawns for defenders have been adjusted for positioning and spread in an effort to increase safety directly after you've spawned.
- Attacker spawns in Phase 2 have been moved closer to the objectives to make it easier to attack.
- Defender spawns in Phase 3 have been moved closer to the objective to make it easier to defend.
- Introduced various visual quality improvements such as: reduced LOD pop-in, sharper textures, improved lighting and materials, minor destructible content, and additional environmental detailing.
- Adjusted frequency with which the alternative light settings appear.
- Increased price of LAAT on from 400 to 1000.
- LAAT respawn has been increased by 30 seconds.
- Fixed an issue where players spawning into the AT-ST were occasionally spawned out of bounds.
- Updated and re-introduced the daylight setting.
- Adjusted frequency with which the alternative light settings appear.
- Phase 1 and 3 in Galactic Assault has been made easier for attackers.
- In Phase 1 of Galactic Assault we adjusted spawn points, added cover, and tweaked the out of bounds area to make this phase easier for attackers.
- In Phase 2 of Galactic Assault we adjusted spawn points to prevent players from being targeted by the AT-AT.
- Fixed a bug in Galactic Assault that prevented players from passing through doors when retreating during the last Phase.
- Phase 2 of Galactic Assault has had balance tweaks.
- Galactic Assault has extended the fallback timer from 30 to 45 seconds before the attackers’ spawn points are moved forward.
- Fixed a bug in Galactic Assault that caused the Endor AT-AT Orbital Strike to break.
- Fixed an issue in Galactic Assault where the out of bounds warning message would not trigger correctly under certain conditions.
- Tweaked the combat area on Jakku in Galactic Assault in order to prevent an exploit where players could circle around the map with the AT-ST.
- Added delay before attacker spawns are moved forward in Galactic Assault.
- Fixed a bug in Galactic Assault that prevented the First Order AT-ST from being available in Phase 1.
- Updated spawns to help the Droids attack.
- Phase 2 capture areas are now only the platforms.
- Added new map, Crait: Abandoned Rebel Outpost, to Galactic Assault.
- In Galactic Assault, updated spawns to help the Droids attack.
- In Galactic Assault, reduced health of the MTT.
- In Phase 2 of Galactic Assault, reduced the explosive objective timer.
- Tweaked the spawning positions of Starfighters on Tatooine.
- Tweaked the spawn positions of the AAT on Kashyyyk.
- Fixed an issue where the objective markers would not update correctly on Endor.
- More reinforcements are awarded after each phase in Galactic Assault.
- Fixed an issue that prevented player to deploy in the AT-RT during the first phase on Hoth.
- Fixed an issue where the AAT would sometimes spawn beneath the MTT, rendering it unable to move.
|V ⋅ T ⋅ E Game Modes in DICE's Star Wars Battlefront II|
|Singleplayer||Arcade ⋅ Campaign ⋅ Instant Action|
|Heroes and Villains||Heroes vs. Villains ⋅ Hero Showdown ⋅ Hero Starfighters|
|Assault||Galactic Assault ⋅ Capital Supremacy ⋅ Starfighter Assault ⋅ Strike/Extraction|
|Operations||Blast ⋅ Ewok Hunt ⋅ Jetpack Cargo|