- "Single player epic battles against AI opponents offline. Take control over a majority of Command Posts to gain reinforcements and defeat the enemy team."
- — In-game description
Instant Action is an offline single-player feature in DICE's Star Wars Battlefront II that features large-scale game modes with AI troopers, reinforcements, vehicles, and heroes. It is a recreation of the original Instant Action from Pandemic Studios' Star Wars: Battlefront series. Instant Action launched featuring only the Clone Wars, but the First Order–Resistance war was added in the BB Update, and the Galactic Civil War was added in the Battle on Scarif Update.
Overview[edit | edit source]
In Instant Action, the player fights alongside a team of AI bots against another team of AI bots in various game modes from the multiplayer that the player selects. The AI can spawn as troopers, reinforcements, vehicles, and heroes and are able to use their unique abilities. Players on PC are able to select up to 32 AI for each side, though this feature is not currently available for console players. Similar to Arcade, players are able to customize some parameters for Instant Action. Battle Point costs for a lot of units are also lower than they are for their respective online multiplayer game modes. Instant Action currently does not support local split screen due to technical limitations. Instant Action includes the game modes Supremacy (ground phase) and Defend and Attack Missions, which you cannot pause the game and are based on Co-Op Missions.
Post-launch, DICE added more customization parameters for Instant Action, including a new system that gave AI planet appropriate Appearances. DICE added the ability for AI to spawn as vehicles in The Age of Rebellion Update. DICE added Co-Op Missions to Instant Action as a separate mode from Supremacy as part of the Battle on Scarif Update.
Maps[edit | edit source]
Supremacy[edit | edit source]
Instant Action Supremacy can be played on the following maps:
- Clone Wars
- Galactic Civil War
- First Order–Resistance war
Missions (Attack) and Missions (Defend)[edit | edit source]
Instant Action Missions (Attack) and Missions (Defend) can be played on the following maps:
- Clone Wars
- Galactic Civil War
- First Order–Resistance war
Units available[edit | edit source]
Galactic Republic[edit | edit source]
Units available to the Galactic Republic separated by unit type (vehicle, trooper, hero) and their corresponding Battle Point cost. On Kamino, AT-RT, BARC Speeder, and TX-130 are unavailable. AT-TE is only available on Felucia, without any Battlepoints and spawned in-game.
|BARC||AT-RT||TX-130||AT-TE (Only on Felucia: Tagata)|
|Clone Commando||Wookiee Warrior||ARC Trooper||Jet Trooper|
|Anakin Skywalker||Chewbacca||Obi-Wan Kenobi||Yoda|
Separatists[edit | edit source]
|Droideka||B2 Super Battle Droid||Commando Droid||B2-RP Rocket Droid|
|Count Dooku||Bossk||General Grievous||Darth Maul|
Rebel Alliance[edit | edit source]
|Scavenged AT-RT||X-34 Landspeeder (Only on Tatooine: Mos Eisley)||74-Z Speeder Bike (Only on Endor: Research Station 9)||Tauntaun (Mount; only on Hoth: Outpost Delta)|
|Wookiee Warrior||Ewok Hunter||Rebel Rocket-Jumper|
|Luke Skywalker||Leia Organa||Han Solo||Chewbacca||Lando Calrissian||Yoda|
Galactic Empire[edit | edit source]
|AT-ST||74-Z Speeder Bike (Only on Endor: Research Station 9)||Tauntaun (Mount; only on Hoth: Outpost Delta)|
|Death Trooper||ISB Agent||Imperial Rocket Trooper|
|Darth Vader||Emperor Palpatine||Boba Fett||Bossk||Iden Versio||Darth Maul|
Resistance[edit | edit source]
Units that will be available to the Resistance separated by unit type (vehicle, trooper, hero) and their corresponding Battle Point cost. Scavenged AT-ST and Stolen LIUV are only available on Ajan Kloss
|Scavenged AT-ST||Stolen LIUV|
|Ovissian Gunner||Caphex Spy||Resistance Rocket-Jumper|
First Order[edit | edit source]
|First Order AT-ST||LIUV|
|First Order Flametrooper||Sith Trooper||First Order Jet Trooper|
|Kylo Ren||Captain Phasma||BB-9E||Emperor Palpatine|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Prior to the Battle on Scarif Update, Instant Action was itself a game mode, that being the ground phase of Supremacy, unlike how Instant Action appears in Pandemic's Star Wars: Battlefront II, where players could choose to play from multiple game modes. In other words, Instant Action in DICE's Battlefront II only allowed players to play that one game mode, much like Pandemic's Star Wars: Battlefront, which only featured Conquest.
- The Battle on Scarif Update added Co-Op Missions to Instant Action, called Instant Action Missions, allowing players to select between Supremacy and Missions.
- Supremacy in Instant Action only features the ground phase, slightly reworked, of its equivalent online multiplayer game mode but uses the same maps as the multiplayer mode.
- Although it was announced that Instant Action would include AI-controlled vehicles at launch, EA DICE had to delay this feature for a future update.
- AI Vehicles were added in the The Age of Rebellion Update.
- Crait and Bespin are the only locations not available in Instant Action, but are both available in the other offline mode, Arcade
Updates[edit | edit source]
- Added Co-Op Missions to Instant Action as Instant Action Missions.
- Added maps Scarif, Death Star II: Command Sector North, Hoth: Outpost Delta, Tatooine: Mos Eisley, and Yavin 4: The Great Temple to Instant Action Supremacy.
- Added all maps listed above, Naboo: Republic Attack Cruiser, Geonosis: Separatist Dreadnought, Starkiller Base: Precinct 47, Jakku: Resurgent-class Star Destroyer, and Takodana: MC85 Star Cruiser to Instant Action Missions.
- Added ability for AI "Auto Players" to spawn as vehicles.
- Added ability for AI "Auto Players" to spawn as friendly heroes.
- Added sliders on all platforms allowing players to choose number of friendly AI, enemy AI, friendly AI reinforcements, enemy AI reinforcements, friendly AI heroes, enemy AI heroes, friendly AI vehicles, and enemy AI vehicles.
- Added maps Ajan Kloss: The Klosslands, Jakku: The Graveyard, and Takodana: Maz's Castle from the sequel era to Instant Action.
- Fixed an issue where all AI heroes would not spawn in, effectively enabling AI control of General Grievous, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Count Dooku and Anakin Skywalker.
- Different default Appearances have also been set up for the AI on CO-OP and Instant Action
- 212th Attack Battalion Phase 1 for Galactic Republic AI players on Geonosis - CO-OP
- 212th Attack Battalion Phase 2 for Galactic Republic AI players on Geonosis - Instant Action
- Default Phase 1 for Galactic Republic AI players on Kamino - CO-OP
- 104th Wolfpack Co. Phase 2 for Galactic Republic AI players on Kamino - Instant Action
- 41st Elite Corps Phase 2 for Galactic Republic AI players on Kashyyyk - CO-OP and Instant Action
- 327th Star Corps Phase 2 for Galactic Republic AI players on Felucia - CO-OP and Instant Action
- 501st Legion Phase 2 for Galactic Republic AI players on Naboo - CO-OP and Instant Action
- B1 Droid Geonosis appearance for Separatist AI players on Geonosis - CO-OP and Instant Action.
- B1 Droid Jungle appearance for Separatist AI players on Kashyyyk - CO-OP and Instant Action.
References[edit | edit source]
- Community Transmission - Celebration Edition & The Rise of Skywalker
- Tweet by Ben Walke (@BenWalke). "We'll have more on Age of Rebellion Instant Action next month." (Source)
- September Community Calendar
- Comment by user F8RGE on Reddit. "Yes" (Image) (Source)
- Tweet by Dennis Brännvall (@DICE_FireWall). "Instant Action will unfortunately not support local splitscreen at release. The reason being is that we have to ensure we're hitting our performance targets on all platforms, with the amount of AI running around fighting while being hosted on your own machines." (Image) (Source)
- The Battle on Scarif Update on the official Star Wars Battlefront Forums (Content obsolete; backup link unresponsive, original screenshot not captured)
- Comment by user F8RGE on Reddit. "Common Questions since Commando Day" (Image) (Source)
- Tweet by Manuel S. Llanes (@aeonstream). "Soon TM" (Image) (Source)
- Star Wars Battlefront II - The Age of Rebellion Update