This update revamped the squad system, now featuring permanent squads that can consist of two or four members. All players in a squad can now spawn on each other, replacing the previous "spawn waves." Currently, this new squad system is only available in Galactic Assault and Strike.
This update also brought the second batch of Clone Trooper Appearances to the game, the 91st Mobile Reconnaissance Corps and the 104th "Wolf Pack" Battalion, for the Galactic Republic's Assault, Heavy, and Specialist classes. This update further brought improvements to end of round matchmaking.
Other notable changes include:
- Removal of the ability for Heavys' Ion Turrets to target infantry
- Dynamic characters in the main menu of the game
- The chicken near the East Turbolaser on Takodana now flees from players
Opening comments Edit
It’s time for another Community Transmission and we’re here to talk about the Squad Update. It releases tomorrow (September 25th), so on with the details.
The new Squad System will allow you to re-join your friends, allies, and the action much quicker than before. If you’re already playing with a group of friends, you will be placed together into a squad. If you join a game on your own, you will be placed into a random squad. When you are defeated, you will have the ability to toggle through a spectator camera. This camera will be focused on one of your squad members and you’ll then have the ability to spawn directly onto them. Want to spawn on a different squad member? Simply toggle through the spectator camera until you find the squad member of your choosing. The new squad system also grants you the ability to play 2v2 Private Matches of Hero Showdown.
We went more in depth on the Squad System in its own dedicated Community Transmission, you can find that here.
91st Mobile Reconnaissance Corps
The 91st Recon Cops were a regiment of the Republic during the Clone Wars. Lead by commander CC-8826, or Neyo, the 91st were involved in many battles across the Clone Wars.
104th “Wolf Pack” Battalion
The Wolfpack was a battalion that active throughout the Clone Wars and known for numerous military operations. On one such encounter, they engaged on a night assault on one of the last remaining outposts of General Grievous. The 104th Battalion can be identified by the iconic Wolf logo that identifies the squad, and the dark blue markings upon their armour.
You can read more about some changes we’re making to the Clone Trooper Appearances by click here
Ping Site Changes
We have added a new default setting to the ping site option. When you have this selected, the game will attempt to match you to any of the ping sites that you have the best ping to. In the real world, this means that if you are located in Europe and have a good ping to both Frankfurt [FRA] and Dublin [DUB], you could be matched to either one, meaning you should find games a lot quicker. These changes will start to arrive alongside the September update and further updates will be made in the months after, as we continue to tweak and improve the matchmaking system.
End of Round (EOR) matchmaking is a feature you will have noticed before. It’s something that has been turned on and tested at intermittent periods over the last few months.
The two key benefits to the end of round matchmaking will be:
- Mixing players up more often. As a result of this it’s less likely that you will find yourself stuck in a poorly balanced game for more than a few rounds.
- We’re changing the matchmaking behaviour so it favours filling up existing servers, as opposed to starting new ones. This means that you should join servers that are trending towards being full, as opposed to joining an empty one.
We go into more detail on the Matchmaking within its own Community Transmission, which you can find here.
Patch notes Edit
New Content Edit
- Added ability to get into squads and spawn on squad members on Galactic Assault and Strike
- Improved screen flow for quicker spawning in all modes where Squad Spawn is not present
Quality of Life Edit
- More dynamic change of characters shown on the Home and Career screens, due to implementation of backend ability to change those in a live environment
- Implemented various stability fixes for the End of Round (EOR) Matchmaking
- Improved the way the game client looks for an online game, by adding an automated Default option for the best Ping site, as well as simplifying the choice of sites in the menu.
Hero Changes Edit
- Fixed an issue where Leia's Alternate Fire ability could damage a player piloting the AT-ST
Vehicle Changes Edit
- Fixed an issue where the "Repair" ability would not properly activate
- Fixed an issue where the Tactical Jammer ability would have no effect on Lando's Millennium Falcon
Classes & Special Units Changes Edit
- Fixed an issue that would prevent the Disruption ability to trigger in sync with the animation
- Removed the ability of Ion Turrets to lock and fire on troopers, as requested by the community
- Reduced the damage done by the Ion Torpedo for better balancing
General Improvements Edit
Fixed an issue where the Resourceful Star Card wouldn't correctly lower the ability cooldown when used.
Game Mode Changes Edit
- Implemented backend timers that allow tweaking of the objective duration on Galactic Assault in a live environment
- Added animations to further enhance the look and feel of the game mode's widget
- Fixed a spelling issue in one of the objective texts
- Fixed an issue where heroes could hide or get stuck behind metal barriers on Jakku
- Fixed an issue that would leave players stuck between tree and mountain assets
- Fixed an issue where the chicken near the East Turbolaser would not be fleeing from the player
- Added Ewok Hunt and Extraction-based challenges to the list of Daily Challenges
- Removed Hero Showdown-based challenges "Perfect Together" and "Vader and Kylo", based on player feedback that they are too hard to achieve in an online environment
- Fixed an issue where Iden's character and description text would be missing from the Campaign's spawn and customization screen
- Fixed an issue where players would not be able to change their Clone Trooper appearances during the pre-round screens on games taking place on Kashyyyk and Kamino
- Added additional UI effects when unlocking an Emote, Victory Pose or Appearance from the menu
- Increased the maximum numbers of players in a group to 20, and the maximum number of players who can play together to 8
- Fixed an issue where the button to get more Crystals would not show up in the Emotes and Victory Poses screens
- Adjusted the "Saviour Kill" stat, so that it tracks relevant kills from the whole team and not just the squad members
- This update will automatically disable CrossFire functionality for players with AMD Graphics Cards running on Windows 8 / 8.1, due to lack of support for multi-GPU with the specified operating system and GPU vendor.
- Squad members that are inside certain land vehicles (Armor, Artillery, Speeder, Tauntaun, Mountable Turrets) are not correctly shown as being inside vehicles on the Squad Spawn screen. The fix has been identified and will be implemented in the next update.
- Selecting to spawn on squad members who are inside land vehicles will temporarily disable access to the “Choose Character” screen. The issue gets resolved once players choose to spawn in the Default location. The fix has been identified and will be implemented in the next update.
- The spawn screen UI will, in rare cases, remain on during gameplay on Strike, or Galactic Assault. The issue gets resolved once players choose to respawn. The fix has been identified and will be implemented in the next update.
- The cooldown timer of the Shock Grenade ability would not be affected by the Resourceful Star Card. The fix has been identified and will be implemented in the next update.
- ↑ Community Transmission - Squad System Update & Release Notes on the Star Wars Battlefront Forums