The TIE/LN Fighter or commonly known as the TIE Fighter, is an Imperial starfighter that can be piloted in Star Wars Battlefront and Star Wars Battlefront II as the fighter class. It is one of the default air vehicles for the Empire, the others being the TIE Interceptor and the TIE Bomber (in Battlefront II)
Star Wars BattlefrontEdit
- "TIE fighters were single-pilot vehicles designed for fast-paced dogfights with Rebel X-wings and other starfighters. "
- — Battlefront official description
The TIE Fighters are collectively under the call sign "Omega Squadron".
Weapons & Abilities Edit
The TIE Fighter has one primary weapon and two special abilities for use:
- Twin Laser Blasters: The primary weapon for the TIE Fighter. The weapon are located underneath the cockpit. The Twin Laser Blasters fire two shots that will hurt Rebel players/starfighters upon impact.
- Speed Boost: The first special ability for the TIE Fighter. Speed boost is handy for evading enemy fire and missiles locking on to you. It's also handy for a Quick get-away if you're low on Health.
- Ion Torpedoes: The second special ability for the TIE Fighter. It is also the secondary weapon for the TIE Fighter. Ion torpedoes are a lock-on missile able to lock on to Rebel starfighters. They can also be fired without lock-on onto the surface. Ion Torpedoes are handy for a bombing run or dealing big damage to Rebel starfighters.
Armed with two blasters near the window of the cockpit. Although a deadly foe if fighting against new rebellion fighters, if it is to go up against two or more (or even one) medium-type experienced pilots, expect to have large difficulty shooting them down. Due to the fact that the X-Wing has the more deadly armament, four instead of two, the TIE fighter is obsolete in some cases. It has a special power to boost itself to a quicker speed, which may help shake off novice enemy pilots. This boost however won't protect the pilot from enemy blaster fire.
Star Wars Battlefront II Edit
- "The TIE/LN fighter is the unforgettable symbol of the Imperial fleet. It is designed for high-speed dogfights against Rebel starfighters."
- — In-game description
- "The TIE/ln is equally adept at discouraging enemy interceptors, taking down X-wings, and spoiling a Rebel bombing run."
- — Website description
The TIE Fighter is more than capable of fulfilling multiple roles, such as dogfighting with other starfighters, attacking objectives, and conducting ground attacks against infantry.
The Afterburner ability grants a speed boost to the TIE Fighter, and can be used in order to break missile locks and to shake pursuers.
With the Laser Barrage ability, the TIE Fighter can unleash a devastating burst of high damage against anything unfortunate enough to be hit by all the blasts. This ability can also be used to damage objectives, or to harass enemy Hero Starfighters.
The Proton Torpedo can lock onto enemy starfighters and be used in a fire and forget manner, and can also be used to attack objectives and infantry. A well-placed torpedo can deal tremendous damage to any enemy trooper or Hero. The Proton Torpedo can be dumbfired by double-tapping the ability, while tapping it once and keeping sight of a target allows it to lock on.
Health and MovementEdit
|Health Statistics for TIE/ln Fighter|
|Base Health|| 1000|
|Health Regen Rate||250 health/sec|
|Regen Delay|| 6 sec|
|Damage|| 65-60 (Explosion: 15)|
|Rate of Fire||360 RPM|
|Range|| Start damage drop-off: 400 meters|
End damage drop-off: 600 meters
(Blast Radius: 5 meters
Inner Blast Radius: 4 meters)
|Heat Per Shot||0.045 heat per shot|
|Passive Cooldown||0.3 heat per second|
|Explosive damage AOE is reduced by 50% on ground maps|
|In-game Description||Gives the starfighter a temporary speed boost and breaks enemy missile lock. The AFTERBURNER can be cancelled after a short time.|
|Effect||Increases speed while breaking lock-ons|
|Ability Duration||6 seconds|
|Ability Cooldown|| 18 seconds
|In-game Description||Charges up a rapid fire barrage which deals high damage.|
|Damage|| 71-61.5 (Explosion: 12)
|Effect||Increased rate of fire burst|
|Area of Effect|| Start damage drop-off: 400 meters|
End damage drop-off: 600 meters
(Blast Radius: 4.5 meters
Inner Blast Radius: 3 meters)
|Ability Duration||1.2 seconds|
|Ability Cooldown||25 seconds|
|In-game Description||Fires a proton torpedo that tracks the locked target and deals high damage.|
|Damage|| Explosion: 600
|Effect|| Locks onto and follows enemies
|Area of Effect|| Blast Radius: 5 meters|
Inner Blast Radius: 2 meters
|Ability Cooldown||15 seconds|
|Fighter Defensive Upgrade||Fighter Weapon Systems||Advanced Torpedoes||Reinforced Hull||Engine Upgrade|
|Tactical Jammer||Targeting Computer||Tuned Lasers||Repair Systems|
- The TIE in TIE fighter stands for Twin Ion Engines.
- The TIE fighter and in some cases the TIE Interceptor, are considered by many to be obsolete compared to the Alliance star fighters. The main reasons for this are:
- The TIE fighter's boost is in no way comparable to the Rebellion's shield power, which completely nullifies blaster damage for a set amount of time.
- The TIE has a large hit-box, compared to the A-Wing which is found by many Imperial fighters to be extremely difficult to hit. (Mostly because it's small and much more agile.)
- TIE fighters can barely enter small spaces, as it's shape causes it to not be able to fit, while the X-Wing can move it's wings in order to fit through.
- The Battlefront community often dislikes the TIE fighter and the TIE Interceptor, and therefore it is considered slightly uncommon to see TIE ships in the air, or even one lasting a full minute, as the X-Wing and A-Wing often destroy the TIE's in a matter of seconds from when they spawn in. This may be vice versa if the TIE pilot in question has good piloting experience controlling the starfighter, and in some cases can eliminate the Rebel threat all together in a match. This may have changed because the A-Wing has lost its ability to shield itself, making speed the only way to avoid being killed.
- In the X-Wing series of novels by Michael A. Stackpole and Aaron Allston, New Republic pilots refer to TIE fighters as "eyeballs".
- Even though in Battlefront it is the Imperial forces that use TIE fighters, three or four years after the Battle of Endor, there was a New Republic fighter squadron created by Wedge Antilles named Wraith Squadron that would frequently use TIE fighters and Interceptors for various reasons.
|The Galactic Empire|